The Very Hungry Caterpillar Home Learning Activities
Home Learning Tasks
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
After reading and watching the story, encourage your child to answer these questions:
What happened to the caterpillar in the story?
How did he change?
What different fruit did the caterpillar eat?
How many oranges did he eat?
What is your favourite food?
Were all the different foods that the caterpillar ate healthy?
What happened in the story?
What was your favourite part?
Can your child draw a picture of how the caterpillar changed in the story?
They might like you to help them to write the different words: egg, caterpillar, cocoon, butterfly. Perhaps they could have a go at writing the words themselves, you could write for them or how about making a video of your child writing about how the caterpillar changed!
Send in your pictures and videos to [email protected] – we would love to see them and put some on the website for others to see.
How many apples can you see?
How many pears do you see?
How many plums can you see?
How many strawberries do you see?
How many fruits are there altogether?
What do the numbers look like?
Can you have a go at writing the numbers?
What fruit is your favourite?
How may people in your house like the same fruit?
Can you cut an apple in half? Can you make it into quarters?
How many pieces do you have?
What sound do these letters make?
Can you also do the sign?
What sound do these pictures begin with?
Can you also do the sign?
There are lots games in this website for further practice!
Username: march20 Password: home –
We recommend using phase 1 or phase 2 resources.
More fun and practical activities to enjoy:
- You could make a yummy fruit salad using the fruits from the story
- Can you make a caterpillar using cucumber and tomatoes.
- Can you make a caterpillar using pasta and string- How long can you make your caterpillar?
- Can you make your own butterfly- you could use your hands, draw a butterfly or paint one.
- Make your own red and green playdough.
- Use your playdough to make a caterpillar- who can make the longest caterpillar?
- Can you give your caterpillar a repeating pattern, eg red green red green OR red red, green, red red green.
1 cup Flour
1/4 cup of Salt
1 tea spoon Vegetable oil
Food colouring / paint
Scent ( if you want it to smell nice)
How to make:
Step 1 : Place the flour and salt in a bowl
Step 2 :In another bowl mix water and food colouring
Step 3 : Mix the 2 bowls together and stir well, keep adding flour if it gets too sticky
Step 4 : Add vegetable oil at the end and store it in a container.
This play dough recipe can last for few weeks. Store it in the fridge once done playing with it.